Life was all about running on tight schedules, instant coffees, and 2-minute news. This one year was the much-needed pause that the human race needed to come to terms with the actual reality about life and realize that work is a part of life and not its only purpose. Many of us found difficulty in adapting to the changing circumstances and felt as if we’d lost direction and purpose, and this is where hobbies play an important role.
What Are Hobbies?
They are the activities that help us destress after a long day of work and help us achieve peace of mind. It is an activity that connects us to our roots and helps us see that work is not just about grinding and breaking a sweat but rather enjoying the little aspects of it.
Hobbies can instantly make our day better by using our little free time and devoting it to them. They do not need to be elaborative or complicated. It could be as simple as cooking, exercising, or bird watching.
Types Of Hobbies:
Hobbies can be anything that makes you happy. However, they are broadly classified as:
● Collecting: This includes activities in which one acquires, locates, seeks, displays, catalogues, or stores. It gives one a chance to order the chaos and makes them feel fulfilled. It includes activities like coin collection, stamps, labels.
● Tinkering and creating: It includes building something. One can see something being created from scratch with their own hands. It includes cooking, dressmaking, etc.
● Activity participation: These are done outside in the lap of nature like bird watching, gardening, and hiking
● Liberal arts pursuits: These are for the people who love the adrenaline while performing and include activities like singing, dancing, photography.
● Sports and games: Exercise and sports are also a kind of hobby.
Hobbies VS Interests
Though generally, hobbies do become something that interests us. However, there is a slight difference between the two:
Interests: Interest is the urge to learn something that arose from curiosity, family inclination, or goals. Like one might be interested in learning about cricket as their brother started playing for the school team but do not want to learn how to play it. Unlike hobbies, interest needs only an intellectual devotion.
Hobby: A hobby is a free-time activity that is enjoyable and demands physical activity to be performed.
Why Are They Important:
● It makes you an interesting person. Someone with stories and experiences.
● It helps you destress and thus increases work productivity.
● It helps you become patient as learning new activities takes dedication and patience.
● It helps you become a confident person.
● It improves your knowledge.
● Do not allow you to waste your time on unproductive things.
● It reduces boredom and makes life seem beautiful and enriching.
How to choose a hobby?
A hobby can be something you’ve always wanted to try, be it a skill or an activity. Find inspirations by looking back to something you enjoyed doing as a child. Try going to places and walk around the stores. It could be an art store or a bookstore.
Takeaway: Life cannot always be happy, but we can make room for happiness while doing something we love. Be creative and see how your life changes.